Wednesday, February 6, 2019

 One of these mornings, sure gonna leave this town...

 

Cold wind circled me as I sat knee-hugged with an oversized coat drawn around me like a blanket.
Jumped between two empty coal cars on a train headed to Wyoming for a fresh load of anthracite. 
Rolling through small cities and towns, each has white billows of steam pouring out of every heat source and exhaust.

The train made a stop in Eaton, Colorado returning four empty grain cars to be reloaded. I hopped off my cold steel perch.

All four rail-cars filled with livestock feed would head south for Texas in the morning. Don't want to miss that ride with winter setting in.



I spent the day dodging the law, staying out of everyone's way. Bought some food, stole some cigarettes and looked for a place to sleep. Found an abandoned truck next to a junkyard and crawled in. Filled with dust, dried leaves and weeds, it was cold, so no need to worry about rodents. It snowed all night.

 



 Early morning, still dark the cold woke me up. I found a spot to conceal myself and hopped on my new ride as soon as it was moving south. Don't want to end up like Hobo Bill, sad, sad song. Won't let you call me Bill, but Jeffrey is OK.


Later,
Bob C.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment