Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Interesting story follows...

Early this warm clear morning, I decided to get the red Jag out of the weeds and wash it. Looked great so I put the top down, went to Denver for a nice dinner and some cool jazz.


In 1947 a single mother delivered twin boys at Denver General hospital. With an amazing unique idea of humor she named both boys Robert. Being identical they would not be able to pull the famous twin switch on her. She would say Robert quit playing your foolish tricks on me, I know it's you. I never found the complete story of the mother but am still researching.

The boys after struggling with education, due no doubt to endless teasing about their shared name, went by the nickname Bob. Later in life they became famous as the Bobs Twins. Not being old enough, I never understood the humor or significance of the title. I later found a reference on Google to an old book series about some twin children.



Both boys loved jazz and excelled on each their own choice of instrument. Bob, being laid back blows smooth syncopated riffs on a saxophone. He also does imitations of other famous musician styles, Coltrain, Parker, and Cannonball Adderly just to name-drop a few.

On the other hand, Bob played the trumpet, much in the style of Miles Davis his hero and mentor. Bob of trumpet fame always followed the lifestyle of a hipster as he still does in his 70's.

I spent the evening absorbing their talents and feeling the thrum of sweet jazz through my system as they finished the last set. Met a beautiful girl at the club and offered her a ride. With the cool night air I kept the top up on the Jaguar and the honest conversation going all the way home, happy to be alive and young. Gotta get up tomorrow and start preparing the tractor for fieldwork now that its spring.


I want to mention how grateful I am to get out this near to the front of the line with my story. There is a whole crowd of us in here and it's quite a jostle to hold your place in line since Bob started this blog. Everyone has a story to tell and wants to be one of the first. I'm getting right back in line as I already have another one ready. It will be a while though because the line is so long. I got a name but not quite ready to share it yet.





Later,
Bob C.

No comments:

Post a Comment